Monday, April 25, 2022

Letter of thanks for coverage on Homelessness

 

Hi Melissa,

I sent an email on the website but was not sure it got through.

Anyway, I wanted to compliment you on the article you did on homelessness. The article may have been the best I have read on the homeless issue in Scottsdale. The article was filled with fascinating personal stories, hopeful support and planning efforts, and all written in a very professional journalistic style. Well done!

I will continue to watch for your work.

Steve Ashby
Scottsdale subscriber



Here is a link to the story as well: https://www.yourvalley.net/scottsdale-independent/stories/the-homeless-problem-whos-on-the-streets-what-scottsdale-is-doing-to-help,298639

 

The lead story for Scottsdale Independent takes a look at the growing number of homeless people in Scottsdale and new initiatives that are trying to help people get back on their feet. The 2022 Point In Time count shows there are more than 100 homeless people in Scottsdale. One of those people is a licensed contractor with decades of experience – his rent went up nearly $1,000 last year, and he was given a 30-day notice. When he couldn’t meet the new rent price, he lost his housing. With more and more people finding themselves in-need, Scottsdale has partnered with Phoenix Rescue Mission to give people day-work.