Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Special Cover For Dover Days

The Delaware State News used the occasion of Dover Days for a wraparound cover, the first of its kind for the compact newspaper.

Featured on the cover was a scene from the encampment of the 2nd Delaware Regiment Volunteers, a Civil War reenactment group.

Photo Editor Dave Chambers snapped the photo of Capt. Glenn Layton and his men the evening before the Saturday edition hit the streets.

Graphic designer Jamie Fritchman provided the InDesign expertise to arrange the headlines and other elements on the special front.

Reaction from the community was very positive.

In an email to Chris Flood, Capt. Layton – who was featured in a story inside the cover – wrote: “The Saturday news article was very well written and I've received a lot of positive comments. Thank you for taking the time and interest. Please extend my thanks to Dave Chambers for his outstanding photo for the wraparound project. I know a lot of extra papers were sold due to the photo of the 2nd Delaware camp at Dover Days. I hope the news staff were as pleased as we were with the Saturday paper. I am humbled by the featured article but do greatly appreciate you including the 2nd Delaware.”

The nation is observing the 150th anniversary of the Civil War.