Thursday, June 30, 2011

Scouts Visit East Valley Newspaper Office

The East Valley office recently hosted scouts from Webelos Pack No. 570 of Mesa's Parkcrest Ward of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Jill Adair, news services editor, is shown here adding a photo and caption to a commemorative page in inDesign that was printed out as a keepsake. Tom Kessler (sitting in the back behind Jill), news services, showed a sports page he was designing. Richard H. Dyer, managing editor of the East Valley office's editorial team, explained the printing process and how it has changed over the years to the present; what needs to be answered to write a story; and had the Scouts come up with ideas for a headline for a Mesa fire calls brief. The Scouts learned how newspapers are made as one of the requirements for their Communications Activity Pin. "It was fun. I learned how they make the newspapers," said Jordon Gardiner, 10. "I liked how they kept the newspapers from the past," said Jorgen Goodman, 10. "I like to learn about how they used to (publish) the newspapers and how they do it right now," said Josiah Burk, 10. "I think it gave them some additional knowledge that they didn’t have before. That’s what Scouts is, to open up all different avenues of interest for them," said Webelos Den Leader Denine Connolly. A photo of the scouts and den leader was printed in the Mesa Independent.