25 YEARS
| Sylvia Windsor |
Newspaper: Dorchester Banner
Position: News Services
Number of years in the newspaper or printing business: 50 years in November
Job description: I paginate pages for the Dorchester Banner and special sections; I do ad layout for these editions; I gather local news from e-mail and mail, editing the copy and formatting the photos to use on my pages and read Logan’s stories and check his pages. I also take care of the community calendar and church news. Working in such a small office, we all help each other whenever possible with the goal of producing a quality product.
What I like best (about my job): I love paginating and creating something that will please our readers, providing them with the news they need. I love the community and never tire of a challenge. When I began work at The Banner at the age of 18 I started out as a typesetter, then I wrote a weekly column for the editorial page and eventually became Managing Editor for 5 years, then transferred to Compo supervisor, then to copy editor and then to news services. In all that time I never tired of the newspaper business and meeting new people. Although I have to admit there were times when I could have thrown certain individuals in the street and ran over them with my car. But fortunately I didn’t, because I didn’t want to hurt my car and go to jail. Everyone at The Banner helped where needed, and still do. We inserted papers when it was necessary and for 8 years I even delivered the paper in Cambridge. When people ask me when I plan to retire, I just look at them and reply, “I don’t.” As long as I am needed and do a good job, why would I retire, my job is interesting and fun.
Most memorable moment with INI: When I accepted an Excellence Award in 2001 from Tammy Brittingham and she hugged and kissed me on the cheek. I admired her knowledge of the newspaper business and her courage in fighting cancer. She was an inspiration to us all and still missed by many. I will never forget her.
Hobbies/Interests: I am a cake baker, not by choice but for economic reasons (money). People call me and order a cake and I try to decorate it to their satisfaction. I have been doing this for about 25 years and with the economy as it is, there apparently is no end in sight. I love old movies, 50s, disco and big band music. I love my four cats: Chandler Bing, Phoebe, Ross and Tom Henry. I enjoy eating out especially; Red Lobster and I enjoy my home, which I recently painted Periwinkle (you can’t miss it).
Fun fact (about myself): I’m flat-footed, too fat and have a really weird sense of humor. Oh, well nobody’s perfect.