ANNIVERSARY PROFILE
24 YEARS
Name: Richard H. Dyer
Newspapers: Apache Junction/Gold Canyon, Gilbert, Mesa and Queen Creek/San Tan Valley Independent newspapers.
Position: Managing editor
Number of years in the newspaper or printing business: 24 years. I started as a copy editor for the Apache Junction Independent on Aug. 13, 1987.
Job description: I do a little bit of everything here – writing, photography, copy editing, pagination, managing, backup for news services and graphics.
What I like best (about my job): The people I work with.
Most memorable moment with INI: When signs were posted on Apache Trail in Apache Junction at the beginning and end of the one-mile section from Idaho Road to Ironwood Drive showing Independent Newspapers was in the city’s adopt-a-street program.
Hobbies/Interests: I’m a welded-steel sculptor. A sculpture I donated to Mesa Community College was unveiled in a ceremony last October (photos are on my artist Facebook page; look for “Rick’s Welded Works”). This summer I had my first juried art show, in California, where I set out my wares for sale in a booth and explained my work to hundreds of prospective customers. I am also the volunteer production editor for The Blue Guitar arts and literary magazine, http://www.theblueguitarmagazine.org/ (my wife, Rebecca, is the volunteer editor); I do the InDesign and PhotoShop work.
Fun fact (about myself): My wife and I enjoy storm chasing. We saw our first tornado May 31, 2010, outside Campos, Colo. It started from a wisp in a cloud above us and ended up being recorded as an EF-2 capable of 111-135 mph winds. We followed it and a couple other tornadoes, snapping photos and recording video along the way.
A few facts (about myself): I am married (my wife also is a journalist, working as a copy editor for a daily newspaper). We are members of the American Copy Editors Society, http://www.copydesk.org/ . This year’s ACES conference was in Phoenix, where I presented on the small-staffs panel with two other journalists; I hope to also be part of the same seminar panel at the April 12-14, 2012, conference in New Orleans.