Wednesday, April 4, 2012

ANNIVERSARY PROFILE
10 YEARS

Pete Gawda

Name: Pete Gawda

Newspaper: Okeechobee News

Position: Reporter/photographer

Number of years in the newspaper or printing business: 10 years

Job description: I cover city and county government, environmental issues as well as serving as a general assignment reporter. I take photographs to illustrate my stories and for stand alones.

What I like best about my job: Every day is different. You never know what to expect. Before I took this job I never knew government meetings could sometimes be humorous and sometimes unexpected things happen to make the meeting more interesting.

Most memorable moment with INI: Getting to take the controls of a WWII era trainer aircraft.

Hobbies/interests: Building model ships, playing chess, reading, solving crossword, suduko and jigsaw puzzles.

Fun fact about myself. When I retire I plan to write a book about my experiences. It may not ever get published, but I intend to write it. I never set out to be newspaper reporter. All I can say is the Good Lord was taking care of me. I was unemployed and walked into the newspaper office and they hired me. It worked out better than anything I could have planned. This is the longest period of time I have worked in one place or lived at the same address. It all worked out according to one of my favorite Bible verses. Romans 8:28.