Thursday, September 12, 2013

Banner’s Community Event Sets Example For Other Newspapers


As part of a promotion associated with “Batten Down: A Guide to Emergency Preparedness,” a recent special section published by the Dorchester Banner, the newspaper sponsored a community-wide event to help disseminate information on how to prepare pets for an oncoming hurricane.

Held on the banks of the Choptank River, the event, which is detailed here,  enjoyed the support of the Dorchester County Emergency Management Services.

The reception of the Banner’s outreach was extremely positive, and as word has spread, other counties in the state are now working with their own local newspapers to do something similar.

This note was recently received by the newspaper:


-----Original Message-----
From: "Steve Garvin"
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 2:21pm
To: dcannon@newszap.com
Subject: Batten Down Event

Dave,

I understand there was an article in the paper with pictures from the Batten Down event, if possible can I get a copy of the article and pictures.  Also I have shared the information with the State and my counterparts on the shore and they were very interested in what was done.  I think some of the other counties are talking with their local papers to do the same.  Thank you

Stephen I. Garvin
Stephen I. Garvin, MPEMP
Dorchester County Emergency Management Agency
Emergency Management Planner / LEPC Chairperson / CERT Coordinator

 

No comments:

Post a Comment